Monday, December 24, 2012

The Annual Required Post (Bore Warning!)

 I believe there is a law somewhere that requires each and every runner to pause in December and consider the previous year and set some goals for the coming one.  So . . . I don't want to but here it goes . . .

SUMMARY - 2012

2012 . . . the "best of times" and "the worst of times".  That's about sums it up!
  • Lots of frustration with recovering from my hip surgery.  It's now more than a year since the surgery and I still at times feel pain.  But I CAN run!  And I sure have this year!  But still, my hip has caused many low points during 2012.  Lots of walking required.
  • I finally finished a 100 mile race!!  Well . . . actually two!  Finishing a 100-miler has been a bucket list item for me for quite awhile.  And after all my attempts (and failures!) I honestly thought I would never achieve this life goal.  But thanks to the Bloody 11w race . . . I had a chance to actually do it within the official race cut-off period . . . and I did!  And even got my picture in Ultra Running Magazine!  Then, in November I completed another 100 mile run at the Kinston 48-hour Race.  Guess this makes this my most successful running year ever . . . in a really weird sort of way!

Kinston Buckle Design
Bloody 11w Buckle

Picture that was in UltraRunning





















2012 RUNNING GOALS:

1.  Have fun running!  That goal has been my #1 goal for the last several years and it will continue to be for as long as I can run.  The FUN is the single thing that keeps me doing it.  As soon as it stops being fun my motivation drop and my whole outlook on life sours.  Seriously.  So I'll strive for fun at any cost!  Success!  I have had fun!

2.  Run injury free all year.  Okay . . . to some degree I can't control this goal so it really might not be the best goal.  But I can influence being injury free by to trying to not progress too fast.  Plus, I can sure lose some weight.  Failure . . . but not a total failure.  Minor injuries only and hip, while not perfect, is letting me run some.


3.  Run a marathon in May or before (but still abiding by goal #2).  If my recovery goes according to plan, this should be a piece of cake!  But I do want to keep myself focused on building up as long as my hip let's me.  Success . . . Completed a 50 miles at the Virginia 24-hour . . . I walked 100% of it but still . . . I'm claiming success!


4.  Complete a run 50 miles before year end.  Again, this should be fairly easy assuming my recovery continues on track.  I really should make it a 100k . . . and maybe I will.  But I need to keep this easy.  Success . . . I nailed this one!  Two 50s and two 100s!!  Finishing a 100 miler has been a goal for a number of years.  Plenty of failures.  Had no idea I might be successful in 2012.  Far and away the highlights of my running year!

5.  Host a new running event . . . one quite different for any other I've seen.  I have some ideas and and the beginning of a plan.  So we'll see . . . more to come on this one! 
Failure . . . but not entirely my fault.  There are now so many "Fat Ass" races out there that I decided we really didn't need another.  Cam and I seriously considered a new event and have decided to not proceed . . . at least for the time being.

Damn . . . that was boring . . . but it had to be done!

RUNNING GOALS - 2013:

1.  Have fun running!  That goal has been my #1 goal for the last several years and it will continue to be for as long as I can run.  The FUN is the single thing that keeps me doing it.  As soon as it stops being fun my motivation drop and my whole outlook on life sours.  Seriously.  So I'll strive for fun at any cost!

2. Start the 2013 Last Annual Volunteer State 500k Race.  No point in including the word 'finishing."  Odds are super slim I can finish within the required 10 day time cut-off.  But I'm planning to try.

3.  Get at least 10 people to go past the marathon distance in 2013.  I'm sure I won't be the only one talking with folks so I'm absolutely sure success won't be just my influence . . . but I plan to take credit!!!  A big focus will be getting newbies to try a 12 hour or 24 hour timed event. 

There . . . only three goals!  At least this time next year my blog won't be as long and boring.  EVEN I'm about to nod off . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Littleton, North Carolina
World's Slowest Runner . . . well, at least in contention for the honor. Just your average "below average" runner.

Followers