Sunday, December 6, 2015

Assault Rifles . . . so powerful that no normal citizen could ever need it?

I've got to admit . . . this just drives me crazy!

My wife and I had a discussion today and she asked me why on earth a normal citizen would need an assault rifle.  Got to admit I was taken back.  I really thought she understood.

Her comment was why would I or anyone else need a rifle that could shoot hundreds of shots in just a few seconds?  I was honestly flabbergasted with her misunderstanding.  She totally believed AR-15s and other "assault rifles" were fully automatic!  And after talking a lot more about it, it became clear to me that there are a ton of people out there that, out of fear and poor biased news reporting think assault weapons are something super-synister.

I explained to Connie that the "assault rifles" that the media talks about are really semi automatic weapons.  Much like the .22 caliber pistols that we shoot frequently.  Pull the trigger one time and one shot goes off.  They are not fully automatic rifles.  She thought that if you held the trigger pulled it would just keep shooting!  At first she didn't believe me.  She said she's seen in the news how assault weapons can shoot hundreds of rounds in just seconds.  At that point it became clear to me that if Connie had a misunderstanding then there must be a huge misunderstanding in the general public.

Connie's next question was "Well why would anyone need any weapon that powerful?"  She went on to say how she could understand how the military would need something that powerful but why would a normal citizen?

OK… Admit it!  This is another failure on my part!

I ask her if she remembered shooting the lever action rifle that we have?  I told her that that rifle was significantly more powerful than the "assault rifles" the media is talking about.  I explained to Connie that in the world of high-powered rifles a .223 rifle is near the bottom of the range in terms of power.  And that there were many, many many rifles that are way more powerful then the .223.

She was flabbergasted!  But I finally convinced her that this was true.

Her next question was "Why don't most people know this?"

The answer is I have no idea but the media has so distorted this concept of the terror of these so called "assault rifles" that the average person just has no idea!  They think these are evil!  Something only the military might need.

All I can do is to ask my friends who are not familiar with shooting rifles such as these please is don't jump to conclusions.  The news media is honestly the worst place in the world to get information.  Period.



AR-15 . . . a so called assault rifle




Mini-14 . . . totally equal to the AR-15 but doesn't look as "tactical"

Lever Action Rifle . . . significantly more powerful caliber than the other two but looks "normal."



3 comments:

  1. I am as ignorant as your wife and have the same questions. Yes, I also get my information from the news and I have a ton of questions ...

    So is it true that a semi-automatic assault rifle can be easily converted to an automatic? The news said that the terrorists in California got their AR-15 weapons legally but converted them to fully automatic with larger magazines. We also hear a lot about AK-47? How does it compare and is it a legal one for purchase?

    But the big question remains and you did not answer it... Why would anyone need to purchase an assault riffle? Would you go hunting with it and if yes what? Why is even called an 'assault' rifle? To assault animals or humans?

    Disclaimer: I served in the army for 2 years in Cyprus when I was 18. It was mandatory. So I have used military automatic assault rifles in target practice and even shot anti-aircraft 50mm 'big boys'... but those military weapons were for the enemy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The AK-47 is another "assault rifle" type weapon with essentially the same attributes as an AR-15. The AK-47 is a Russian made rifle.

      I am certainly not a gunsmith, but I understand that it is possible to convert the normal civilian AR-15 into a fully automatic weapon. HOWEVER I am told the conversion is not a simple conversion and is HIGHLY illegal. I personally do not know of a person that has done it. But the key here it is not a simple conversion based on what I have heard.

      Gun enthusiast do not referred to an AK-47 or AR-15 as an "assault rifle." To us and assault rifle is a fully automatic weapon that has a selector switch to go from semi automatic to fully automatic as needed. The press continues to prefer to these civilian versions as assault weapons and it drives enthusiast crazy!

      Both the AR-15 and the AK-47 are fairly short weapons and they typically have a stock that is adjustable. The combination of these two factors make these rifles easier to stowaway and conceal. Plus they are easy to handle in tight surroundings. They don't have much recoil as they are a very powerful rifle . . . So they are fun to shoot. They make a great home defense weapon. And if you found yourself in a shootout with someone that had one of these rifles and all you had was a pistol you would most likely lose! These weapons can be used for hunting however due to the low powered nature of the cartridge they are not legal to hunt deer in most states. But in states like Florida and Texas where there are large populations of wild hogs the calls significant problems for farmers they are often used to hunt these. Additionally these guns are very popular to use in competitive shooting called three gun competition's.

      I hope this helps.

      Others may chime in with other reasons why they feel they need one of these.

      Delete
  2. I am as ignorant as your wife and have the same questions. Yes, I also get my information from the news and I have a ton of questions ...

    So is it true that a semi-automatic assault rifle can be easily converted to an automatic? The news said that the terrorists in California got their AR-15 weapons legally but converted them to fully automatic with larger magazines. We also hear a lot about AK-47? How does it compare and is it a legal one for purchase?

    But the big question remains and you did not answer it... Why would anyone need to purchase an assault riffle? Would you go hunting with it and if yes what? Why is even called an 'assault' rifle? To assault animals or humans?

    Disclaimer: I served in the army for 2 years in Cyprus when I was 18. It was mandatory. So I have used military automatic assault rifles in target practice and even shot anti-aircraft 50mm 'big boys'... but those military weapons were for the enemy...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Littleton, North Carolina
World's Slowest Runner . . . well, at least in contention for the honor. Just your average "below average" runner.

Followers