Runners . . . read on!
Well . . . with some things the answer is definitely YES! A bigger hamburger is always better! Same with a beer.
(You runners are with me, but you x-rated perverted fools are confused! Beer and hamburgers are key to most runners . . . even those runners who have turned away from good, greasy foods and gone "vegetarian" still understand those of us carnivores that remain! And beer is almost universal!)
But when it comes to marathons the answer is not so simple for me.
Just finished the Marine Corp Marathon with over 20,000 of my closest friends.
- And it was fun!
- And it was very cool to take a running tour of Washington, DC.
- And I loved the opportunity to thank so many Marines . . . (but I did feel bad since they were there making OUR day better when WE runners should be making their days better . . . we owe our service men and women so much!)
- And the crowd support was fantastic! I've never run the New York Marathon and I hear the crowd is unbelievable . . . but Washington must be a close second place! People we just about everywhere and that is neat.
- And I loved getting my finisher metal from an Marine officer, who made it a point to ceremoniously present me with my medal. I made it a point to ceremoniously tell him what an honor it was for me to get the medal from him and all the Marines who supported this run.
But for this country boy, it was all almost too much. I believe I like a small marathon . . .
- where most of the time I'm either alone or with only a few people,
- where I get to know the few people I see on the course,
- where I can park within 500 yards of both the start and the finish,
- where there is real food at the finish, not just pretzels, bagels, bananas and raisins.
Pictures from the Marine Corp Marathon: