Well, 2009 is just about done and overall it was a good year . . . everyone is healthy and happy and we have many blessings. You really can't ask for more then that. And I finally moved to a new age bracket . . . the 60s! Luckily my friends were there to help me "ease" into it!
But this blog is about running . . .
For me and my running, 2009 was both successful and troubling.
First, I had one major goal for 2009 and one minor one. My major goal was to complete a 50 mile run. This I completed on March 21 and raised money for the American Cancer Society. The 50 mile run took me 13 hours and 44 minutes. Not a very good pace, but I certainly didn't try to hurry! Got to admit this was a huge accomplishment for me and I am so glad I did it. Also, my minor running goal was to complete 12 runs of 26.2 miles or longer . . . and I got 13 in during the year:
- Frosty 50k January 10 50k
- Rocky Mount 50k January 31 50k
- Washington’s Birthday Marathon February 16 Marathon
- Umstead Trail Marathon March 8 Marathon
- Lilley 50 miler March 21 50m
- Bay’s Mountain Marathon April 10 Marathon
- Flying Pig Marathon May 3 Marathon
- God’s Country Marathon June 6 Marathon
- Boogie Marathon June 13 Marathon
- Marine Corp Marathon October 24 Marathon
- OBX Marathon November 8 Marathon
- Medoc Marathon Re-run November 28 Marathon
- Charlotte Marathon December 12 Marathon
- Relay for Life April 25 24 miles
- Sweaty Butt 50k July 4 ~21 miles
But 2009 also brought several running disappointments.
For several years I've really enjoyed running . . . not worring about time, but focusing on the experience . . . having a really good time. But time is becoming more important to me! Yes . . . I said it! Throughout 2009 my times got slower and slower. To the point that now I'm having to worry about cut-off times!
In the Umstead Trail Marathon I was the last official finisher. And now a 6 hour limit could be a problem if the marathon course is hard.
Additionally, I've had several marathons that proved to be very hard just to complete:
- the Boogie Marathon almost did me in. Have never come so close to a DNF as I did at Boogie. Not because of any injury, sickness or other problem. At the 10 mile point I was honestly ready to call it quits. I have always had trouble with hot weather and this one was hot and humid. This race just kicked my butt bad! No "if's," "and's" or "but's" about it!
- I really struggled through the OBX Marathon. Nothing hard about this race or the weather on race day. But I had trouble just finishing. I hit the wall at 18 . . . got it back at 20 and ran well. Then I died a slow, painful death beginning at 23 1/2. Had to sit down for 30 minutes after it was over.
But lots of good memories from 2009 runs . . . here are a few pictures.
I've never been a fast runner, but usually I've been a mid-pack runner. In my 40s my 5k runs were in the 20s or sometimes 21s. My PR was 20:01. Far from the "lead dogs" but respectable. Usually I was about midway in my age group. But now I'm near the end!
So . . . I'm going to change things for 2010. Fewer marathons and those that I run I will try to run faster. My 2010 goals are:
- I will be an "official finisher" of the Bethel Hill Moonlight Boogie 50 mile run.
- No road marathon will take longer than 5:30.
- And I will do one marathon in 5:15 or better.
- And I will run some 5k races this year. Have no idea about a time goal, but I'm thinking less than 30 minutes.