"Hurry Slowly . . . but Hurry" is, and always will be, a running blog. That's just the way it is. Okay . . . I admit that from time to time I lose my focus and go 'off-topic' but for the most part I've stayed true. Thus, no recent posts. If I don't run much, there is just nothing to say.
Okay . . . I could 'brag' on my personal-worst 5k . . . 31:41 or so. Sorry, that is just sad. And actually I was pretty pleased because I ran all but 15 steps (I counted them!). My recent running has been humbling compared to my past running.
Don't get me wrong . . . I'm still running and glad to be able to run. But 9-10 miles seems to me my absolute limit . . . and it's just not getting better. (For those of you that have known me for a long time remember that I had a 13 year period were I didn't run at all! Bad medical advice made me quit for years until I found a magic solution.) But there doesn't seem to be a magic solution to my hip right now. Maybe in a few more months things will get better. That would be nice. But not necessary.
Honestly, I'm just sooooo glad I can run at all. Seriously. If I can only run 9 miles or less . . . well . . . I'll be 100% fine with that. If I do heal up and I find I can go further . . . well . . . that's great too. But a few realities need to be acknowledged . . .
- I'm 99% sure I'll never finish a 100 miler. Sad . . . but likely true. What the hell am I going to do with this belt I purchased?
- If I ever finish another 50 miler, it will be walking the vast majority of the way. And that may not ever happen.
- No more races with cutoffs . . . ever.
- And that likely means marathons too. I have signed up for the Baby Boogie Marathon this year (ample cut-off time!) Likely my last marathon. I'll finish if I have to crawl . . . pretty much like last year!!
My long-distance running may possibly be coming to an end and I may need to turn the page to new, and different challenges.
- I've always loved backpacking. Maybe an AT thru-hike is in my future.
- I've GOT to get my 5k time to sub 30 . . . that's just frickin' embarrassing!
- Maybe some sort of a marathon of 5ks . . . I need ideas here. I seem to need to run every other day.