Sunday, April 21, 2019

Back at it again . . .

It's been awhile!

And this may not last all that long.  But I'm trying to "run" again.  I put the word "run" in quotes 'cause many would suggest that I'm not running at all!  At best I've got a slow "jog" going on between walks!

No need to recount all the injuries I've been dealing with for the last several years.  Primarily foot and hip issues.  And while neither is anywhere close to 100%, I'm thinking both are close enough to give this a try!

For the last 3 years all I've really done is walk for my exercise . . . primarily while playing golf.  A little over 6 miles a round averaging two days a week.  Not much really but it is something.  After 18 holes I'm really tired and my joints just sort of "freeze up" like after a really long run!

Of more concern, my weight was slowing inching up to my all-time heaviest . . . almost 240 pounds!  And I just didn't feel all that good.  Yard work wore me out!  Getting down on the floor and then standing back up was real effort!!  Helping out my dog do the things she needs me to do even takes significant effort.

I needed a change.

My hip surgeon advises that I not run anymore.  He says he knows that he has hip replacement patients that do run but he believes they will wear their new joint out early.  And replacing a hip replacement is not all that much fun according to him!  He says if he had a hip replacement, he wouldn't run.  But I have a friend that had a hip replacement years ago and she runs every day.  I'm sure the conservative approach would be to extend walking and increase that walking pace.

But here is what I'm thinking -  I'm almost 69 years old and my overall health is excellent.  Heart is strong, blood chemistry is excellent.  No issues at all except kidney stones and joints!  I'm thinking if I keep doing what I was doing, my weight would continue to slowly climb, my heart would be stressed in a not so good way (due to the increased body weight) and the downhill spiral would do nothing but accelerate.  And my hip surgeon has never seen me actually "run."  When I'm running, I don't believe there is any more "pounding" than when I walk.  I'm pretty sure when I'm running I always have contact with the ground . . . more of a glide!  Not sure what I do qualifies as a "run!"

I do "get it" though.  If I return to running, my hip may well give out early.  I'm hearing most hip replacements last 15-20 years.  If running reduces that 20% then I should be able to get 12-16 years.  That would take me to age 81-85.  And my quality of life during those years should be pretty darn good!  Plus, the estimates of how long a replacement should last is looking at hip replacements done 15-20 years ago!  I'm betting that new hip joint parts made these days will outlast those made years ago!  And if I do wear mine out . . .I can always try a new replacement . . . by then that procedure might be even better!

Maybe my logic and assumptions are wrong.  IDK.  But I do feel like my current course will lead to a better quality of life for me.  But of course we all know: "If Papa ain't happy . . . nobody cares!!"  Hahaha!

So . . . how is the running coming along you ask?  

"Slow but sure" about sums it up.  But with my blog's name would you guess any different?

My first outing was March 15th and I "ran" for 16 minutes 34 seconds covering a whopping 1.07 miles!  That equates to a 15:31 pace.  Since then I've covered just over 37 miles and I'm now averaging a pace of about 13:45.  So that is some nice progress.  I'm only covering 3-4 miles per run and I believe I'll hold that distance for awhile.  The last thing I want to do is to come back too fast . . . the risk of set-back is just not worth the risk.

My hip and foot pain is usually very minor.  Only one day did my hip hurt enough that I turned around after 1/4 mile and walked back home!  On most runs the pain level is around 1 to maybe 2 sometimes.

Most of my "running" has been in my neighborhood on our roads.  While I've always loved trail running, I'm afraid the trip risk is just too great.  I did do one run at the Roanoke Rapids Canal Trail which really isn't much of a trail . . . no single-track and wide, smooth surface for the most part.  That worked out okay and I'll likely do that every so often.

Goals?  

Really, I don't have any except being able to run some and improve my fitness.  I have signed up for a 5k coming up in April and I guess my goal there will be to not finish last.  But honestly . . . I don't care if I do end up dead last.  I've been DFL many times!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Littleton, North Carolina
World's Slowest Runner . . . well, at least in contention for the honor. Just your average "below average" runner.

Followers