Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 . . . Ready, Set, GO!

In some ways, 2008 was a great year! A lot of big events: James got married, Eric Spencer (my nephew) got married, Michael got into Clemson's graduate school . . . But 2008 was a tough year in other ways. No matter, 2008 is done.

Running wise (and that is what this blog is supposed to be about primarily!) I did achieve my 2008 goal of 12 marathons during the year (okay, I originally said "a marathon a month" but getting sick killed that possibility so a slightly adjusted!) Turns out 12 marathons in a year really wasn't all that hard to do. So . . . what are my 2009 goals going to be?

For one thing, I do plan to stay active running. I do enjoy the longer distances more than the 5-10k type races. Plus, I don't seem to have as many injuries since I backed off the speed and increased distances. But "staying active" isn't much of a goal. I guess I want a goal that will be hard to accomplish. One that I may even fail if I attempt it. An easy goal isn't much of a goal.

So for 2009 I want to run 50 miles . . . in one run. Probably I'll do this at some official race . . . probably attempt it fairly early in the year so I'll have time for a second attempt, if necessary. I do want to find an event where the course is flat! But it would be pretty cool to maybe run 1/2 of Shenandoah National Park! That would take quite a bit of support and crew assistance. Still, it's something to consider.

But it does seem like this goal has what is necessary to be a good 2009 goal . . . simple, specific, hard and possible. So, that's it. A 50-miler in 2009.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Littleton, North Carolina
World's Slowest Runner . . . well, at least in contention for the honor. Just your average "below average" runner.

Followers