Here were my 2011 running goals and my results
#1. Make sure 2011 is a year of FUN in my running.
- I achieved this goal . . . and that is most important!
#2. Fastest Marathon - Over 5:30.
- I haven't checked but I really don't need to. I know I did this.
- I did well through June . . . and did technically finish one more marathon at Hinson Lake in September. So I totaled 10 runs of marathon distance or longer . . . (plus Uwharrie 20 which to me feels like a marathon when I'm done!). Only one of these was a 'Lilley Special' run where I was the only competitor. I didn't count long training runs. Since it's just mid October I'm not feeling too bad about missing this goal. If the hip had not developed into a huge hindrance, 15-20 was in the bag.
- Okay . . . a fail at Umstead. I only did 62.5 miles and I'm still disappointed in myself about that. Physical failures I can stand but Umstead was just a mental failure. But I did learn. And finished 75 miles at Goldsboro! And I honestly believe I could have finish the full 100 at Goldsboro had I not gotten some nasty blisters. So . . . since I'm keeping the score I'm going to declare success here . . .just not 100% success!
- Success here. I was DFL by so far Doug almost had to declare me a 2012 finisher! But I did finish. Again, blisters did me in. Plus, I did have the beginnings of my hip issue. I didn't complain or write about it, but I was having problems there too, but I just didn't think it was anything other then one of those pains we get as we just get older!
#6. Get at least 4 folks to try an ultra for the first time.
- I really can't say that I was the reason that Amber Shingleton, Jon Shingleton, Eric Ghilloni and Arthur Bennett finished an ultra. But I do think I helped some!! Actually two of there weren't in my original list! And I few that I had on my list are still there as targets! Beware folks! I'm coming after you!
So . . . with my hip surgery this Wednesday, I need to adjust goals so I can continue 2011 with some running goals. I'm NOT done for the year!
Remaining 2011 Goals
- So that is my #1 remaining goal for 2011 . . . I will run again after surgery and before the stroke of midnight New Year's Eve. If I'm able to do that . . . . well . . .then 2011 will have been an awesome year for my running!
- I was hoping to have a race with my friend Tom Herbst before the end of the year, and that still may happen. About 4 weeks ago Tom had a very similar surgery to what I'm going to have next week. Tom may be race ready but I'm afraid that may be a little too ambitious for my recovery.
If I do write something, I would strongly urge you to not read it. Zero chance it could even be close to interesting.