Saturday, June 22, 2013

Quick update

Just a quick update . . .

Last Monday they removed my cast and took out my stitches.  Everything is looking good!

Here is a picture while the cast was off . . .
Toes still a tad swollen but lookin' good!


























The doctor had told me that we would put another cast back on for another 2 weeks.  Well . . . he changed his mind some.  He decided to let me try using a special surgical boot that will only allow me to put weight on my heel.  Totally impossible to walk in, but it does make life WAY easier!  Now I can do a weird 1/2 step and carry a glass or a plate from my kitchen to my den!!  Woo Hoo!  Can't go far but this is a nice bit of freedom!

The bad news is the doctor wants me to stay this way for three weeks instead of two.

I had to go back and see him on Thursday.  The pin in my toe must have twisted some and it was rubbing on "the little piggy that had none" making him quite unhappy!  But they twisted the pin some and re-wrapped everything with more padding and that took care of it!

Quite honestly, I wish I had a cast on instead of this boot.  The boot does allow my toes to move some and whenever that happens the pin in my toe complains!!  Loudly!  I believe a cast would support my toe better which would make these 3 weeks less painful.  But now one of those three weeks is almost over and only two weeks to go!  Not sure what will happen then . . .  PT I guess.

But in spite of this whining I'm really doing fine!  Honestly.

On a side note I mailed a letter to the doctor that missed the second dislocation.  Not surprised that I haven't heard a word from him.  Most doctors just seem to find it almost impossible to admit that they made a mistake.  Guess he thinks if he admits he made a mistake I would sue him.  But if he would admit it and apologize . . . it sure would make it easier for me to forgive him!  And I really would like to get past this.  I admit that right now I'm having trouble moving on.  Just angry that I'm having to go through all this extra pain and downtime.

But on a positive note I was already such a slow runner that this probably won't even make a noticeable difference in my pace!!

1 comment:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Littleton, North Carolina
World's Slowest Runner . . . well, at least in contention for the honor. Just your average "below average" runner.

Followers